Saturday, November 5, 2011

NaBloPoMo

I'm a horrible blogger, it's true. It's not that the posts I write are horrible, but they're few and far between. I keep telling myself that I'll do better. I'll write once a week, OK maybe every 2 weeks, or monthly, every other month...and then 4 months go by and I haven't written anything (well, other than comments on other people's blogs).

So, this month I'm going to do better. I'm signing up to blog every day. Through NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) I'll get prompts Monday through Friday with writing topics. Then on the weekend it's my chance to come up with topics. I doubt that I'll actually write every day, and some days may not be very good, but at least I'll get in the habit of writing more often. And maybe, just maybe, that will translate into more blogs after November is over.

So, since I'm coming to this game a little late, I have some catching up to do. I'll start with the prompts that were give already this week.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011
What is your favorite part about writing?

I like several things about writing. I like seeing my thoughts on the screen. It helps me sort through them and analyze them if I can see them in front of me, and not just in my head. I like the freeing feeling that getting things out through writing give me. Whether I'm venting about a stressful situation, sharing happy news, or just asking for advice with a problem I can't solve, getting it out there just feels good.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011
If you knew that whatever you ate next would be your last meal, what would you want it to be?

Hm, I like so many foods. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, fried okra, and cornbread would be at the top of the list. My mom's pot roast with potatoes and carrots is pretty high up there too. Both are foods that make me feel happy when I eat them, and bring back lots of good memories.

Thursday, November 3, 2011
Can you listen to music and write? What song did you hear today?

Most of the time, yes. Sometimes I need a little background noise to relax and get my thoughts organized. If the music is really loud or rocky it can be too much of a distraction, but for the most part I like to write with something playing in the background. There's no music playing right now, but there is background noise: the sound of my husband and mother-in-law playing with my son while NASCAR coverage is on TV. Now that's actually music to my ears :)

Friday, November 4, 2011
When you are writing, do you prefer to use a pen or a computer?

Definitely a computer. I have horrible handwriting. If I write on paper, many times I have trouble reading what I wrote. When I'm trying to get things out in a hurry, my handwriting gets even worse. Ever since high school I've done better typing than writing. Even when I have to go back and fix words that I've typed wrong things flow more smoothly on a keyboard than with pen and paper. When I was younger I did keep a journal, but if I ever tried to go back and read what I'd written at a later date I'd have trouble following the emotion and thought train because I'd be too focused on figuring out what the words actually were. So, I'm really glad that the personal computer was invented (and super glad that spell check was invented also, since I'm also a terrible speller)!

OK, so there's 4 short blogs taken care of. Since there is no prompt for today I'll end this blog here, and I'll spend some time to think of a blog to write later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment